Mount Erskine: Penang’s Forgotten Flagstaff Hill – Part 2: The Pulo Tecoose Boat Establishment
By Eugene Quah
THE MOUNT ERSKINE signal station was built for “the purpose of obtaining earlier communication with vessels entering the harbour”. Previously, incoming ships could only be boarded and inspected when they had already sailed into the Penang harbour. With the signal station now fully operational, Governor William Petrie ordered a significant change to the handling of ships entering the port to take effect on 31 July 1815.For “greater efficiency”, the government would station a boarding boat, a “fast pulling Malacca boat”,...
To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, log in or subscribe to us for RM150 a year.
is an independent researcher who is working on a book about Tanjung Bungah and Tanjung Tokong. He rediscovered the joys of writing after moving back to Penang from abroad while on a hiatus from designing software.