Aquaculture: The Good, the Bad and the Restorative
By Dr. Annette Jaya Ram, Dr. Abe Woo Sau Pinn, Prof. Dato’ Dr. Aileen Tan Shau-HwaiJanuary 2022 FEATURE
To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for RM150 a year.
- Richards, D. R. and Friess, D. A. (2016). Rates and drivers of mangrove deforestation in Southeast Asia, 2000-2012. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 113(2) 344-349. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1510272113
- FAO (2016). The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture. Rome.
- The Nature Conservancy. (2021). Global Principles of Restorative Aquaculture. Arlington, VA. https://www.nature.org/en-us/what-we-do/our-insights/
- Loheswar, R. (2019). Nearly 50,000 fish found dead in Teluk Bahang due to suspected heavy metal contamination. 12 August 2019. https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/08/12/nearly-50000-fish-found-dead-in-teluk-bahang-due-to-suspected-heavy-metal-c/1779858
- Mok, O. (2018). Penang exco warns aquaculture operators against illegally clearing mangrove forests. Malay Mail. 11 December 2018. https:// www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2018/12/11/ penang-exco-warns-aquaculture-operators-againstillegally- clearing-mangrove/1702115
Dr. Annette Jaya Ram
works on mariculture of mud crabs and mantis shrimps. She is identifying the best ways to culture them in order to reduce the harvesting of these organisms from the wild.
Dr. Abe Woo Sau Pinn
studies the biodiversity of marine invertebrates and their systematics. His research interests include ecology, diversity, systematics and taxonomy of echinoderms.
Prof. Dato’ Dr. Aileen Tan Shau-Hwai
is director of CEMACS, and executive director of the Asia-Pacific University Community Engagement Network, USM. Her field of expertise is marine science, and she specialises further in mariculture and in the conservation of molluscs. She currently leads a team of experts under the IOC-WESTPAC regional programme in conducting research on jellyfish and drafting a comprehensive plan on dealing with threats caused by jellyfish.