Muslim Mercantile Activities in George Town Before The Second World War

loading Kapitan Keling Mosque on Pitt Street.

BUSINESS AND TRADING ACTIVITIES were not foreign to the Malays at the time when Francis Light occupied Penang on August 11, 1786; various bazaars were opened by Chinese, Indians and Muslims from Kedah to sell essential goods like foodstuffs, rice, spices, clothing and other items. During those days, major food items like rice, fowls and meat, as well as wooden planks (used for construction) were brought over to the island from there.

Since then, Penang began to receive traders from all over the world, including Muslim traders who managed to build a business legacy which was comparable to that of European and Chinese traders.


To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for RM150 a year.



Related Articles