The enchanting hill of early Penang

loading

This is an extract mined by Ooi Kee Beng from a collection of letters written by an ailing H.G Baron Nahuijs van Burgst. Nahuijs was the first Dutch Resident for Suracarta and Yogjakarta, holding that office from 1816 until 1822 when he retired from office. While making his way home to Europe, he wrote diligently about the places he visited along the way. Translated from Dutch into English by Eric Miller, these letters were published in the Journal of the Malayan Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, Vol XIX, 1941.


To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for RM150 a year.



Related Articles