The State Should Repaint All Low Cost Flats

loading

Strongly subsidising the repainting of low cost and low-medium cost flats in Penang will definitely improve living conditions there, and make the state sparkle more. However, differentiating between these flats based on who built them will badly dampen these positive effects.

IT IS WELCOMING NEWS indeed that the Penang state government will be paying 80% of the cost of repainting low cost and low-medium cost flats. The remaining 20% of the cost is to be borne by the flat owners.

There is no doubt that many apartment blocks in Penang need repainting.

So far, the projects identified are two blocks of flats in Kampung Melayu, nine in Riffle Range and three apartment buildings in Bayan Baru. In the case of Rifle Range, two private persons have contributed RM100,000 each to cover the 20% that would otherwise be borne by the flat owners.


To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for RM150 a year.



Related Articles

VOICE IN THE CROWD
Jul 2015

Let’s clean up our island city

With Penang's upgrade to city status, it's time to upgrade its level of cleanliness as well.

VOICE IN THE CROWD
Feb 2015

No automatic new start for Penang as a city

Penang is on its way to becoming a city– again. However, this does not mean that improvements will happen overnight.

VOICE IN THE CROWD
Dec 2014

What can we obey if we cannot obey simple municipal rules?

Without proper civic consciousness, we cannot truly be proud of our cities.

COVID-19 EXCLUSIVES