Safeguarding Penang’s Water Supply

loading

We live in an age of swirling crises - economic crisis, energy crisis, food security crisis. What are the chances of a water crisis in the near future? And are we prepared to make the tough choices?

Consider the facts. Of all water on earth, only 2.5% is fresh water and the remaining 97.5% is salt water. Approximately 68.7% of fresh water is trapped in glaciers, 30% is in the ground, one per cent is frozen and the remaining 0.3% (yes, you read it correctly!) is found in lakes, rivers and streams on the surface of the planet. In other words, only 0.008% of the earth’s water is fresh and accessible to mankind. However, not all of this accessible fresh water is consumable due to urbanisation and industrialisation which have caused significant water pollution.


To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for RM150 a year.



Related Articles

FEATURE
Jul 2014

Penang – A future centre for classical music in Asia?

Now newly housed on Lebuh Pitt, the Penang Philharmonic Orchestra brings exciting sounds to the city.

FEATURE
Jul 2015

It is time we help the stateless among us

Dr Hartini Zainudin, founder of Yayasan Chow Kit and current vice president of Voice of the Children, sheds light on the stateless.

FEATURE
May 2017

The MICE Industry Matures

The stage is set for Penang's business events sector to soar.

FEATURE
Apr 2016

The Panthers are Back!

After a five-year hiatus, the Football Association of Penang returns to the top flight.