As the last surviving Chinese surname jetties in Penang today, the beginnings of the Clan Jetties are intertwined with the island’s once-bustling entrepot, buoyed by the emergence of Weld Quay in the nineteenth century.
Efforts to improve the quay’s shipping facilities were carried out in the 1880s,1 and since 1882 the gradual reclamation process of Weld Quay began to deepen the port’s wharfage, giving rise to more landing docks for trading. Upon the completion of the island’s first deep-water wharf – Swettenham Pier in 1905 – its harbour could then cater to different shipping markets.2
To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for
RM150 a year.
Subscribe Sign in