Penang has always had a sizeable Siamese community, and this relationship stretches back to the nineteenth century.
On May 30, 1845, a piece of land was granted to the Siamese and Burmese communities by the East India Company on behalf of Queen Victoria. Today, Kampung Siam still stands on this land, replete with families that have been living there for generations. The golden pagoda of Wat Chaiyamangalaram gleams over the village; a large statue of a sleeping Buddha within the temple attracts devotees and tourists alike.
To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for
RM150 a year.