It may be small in size, but SJK (T) Jalan Sungai has a quaint history and a big heart.
River Road Tamil School, like most schools, had humble beginnings. Established in 1947 by P. Gopalakrishnan, the state Tamil school coordinator at the time, it only had 16 enrolled students and a wooden hut in which to teach at Jalan Timah.
Enrolment soon increased to over 200 students, though, taught by nine teachers. More space was needed, and the school was relocated to a bigger compound at Jalan Sungai in 1949.
In the early 1950s the school had 250 students in an attap-roofed building. By the end of the decade, in 1959, a concrete edifice had to be built to house the growing number of students – which had increased to 670 – and 24 dedicated teachers.
To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for
RM150 a year.
Subscribe Sign in