Embracing A.I.

loading

Growth may await Penang in the short term, but adapting to Industry 4.0 has to happen now.

According to the World Bank, Malaysia’s economic growth will continue at a moderate pace over the next two years. This goes together with the bank’s expectation of lower capital expenditure growth in Malaysia.

The country’s 2018’s budget deficit is expected to hit 2.8% of GDP (vs. 3% in 2017), and higher expenditure will be offset by an increase in revenue, which is mainly driven by stronger economic growth and the recovery of oil prices. While economic growth for 2018 is projected to reach an impressive 5-5.5%, this forecast is propelled by the positive projection of the global economy rather than by sound fiscal and economic policies at the federal level of government.

The Election Budget

Malaysia has big dreams of becoming a developed nation in the near future, but to have any chance of achieving this, the coordination of operating and development budgets needs to be improved. In the 2018 Budget, as much as 83.6% was allocated for operating expenditure (OE), leaving only 16.4% for development expenditure (DE).


To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for RM150 a year.



Related Articles

COVER STORY
Mar 2014

Out of gas weighing our energy options

With TNB's price hike earlier this year, we take the opportunity to review Malaysia's energy situation.

COVER STORY
Jun 2016

A New Era Comes to Balik Pulau

From affordable housing to quaint homestays and getting in touch with nature and the land, the township is undergoing an interesting revival.

COVER STORY
Jul 2014

Is the nursing profession in good health?

Nurses play an indispensable role in society, but they are leaving the country by the droves. In spite of this, oddly enough, Malaysia also faces an overabundance of nursing graduates. What then is the state of the local nursing profession?

COVER STORY
Aug 2014

My Oh My George Town! Public spaces need publicity – and polish

Different spaces mean different things for the folks of George Town. Penang Institute sets out to discover the nooks and crannies of the city in its “My George Town” project.