Early days in Balik Pulau


The history of Balik Pulau has been a continuous source of controversy. The following “eyewitness” account and maps may perhaps settle some of the argument and open up new avenues for discussion.

In March 1807 the East India Company’s assistant surveyor in Penang, Jeremiah McCarthy, was sent to reconnoitre the western part of the island. McCarthy had been appointed to Penang by the Bengal government in early 1806 and had been extremely busy surveying various parts of the island, including George Town. Some of his surveys are extant; however the survey he refers to below has unfortunately not been discovered. When Captain Thomas Robertson of the

To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for RM150 a year.

Related Articles

Feb 2012

Slavery in Penang,1841

Penang had, at one point in its history, as many as 3,000 slaves.

Mar 2017

More Than an Air Force Station

With amenities that range from a hospital to a radio station, the Royal Australian Air Force has certainly left its mark in Penang.

Nov 2011

Reporting on Penang’s twin, Pulau Jerajah, 1787

We reproduce a letter by Captain Robert Kyd, believed to be the oldest written account of Jerejak Island.