When Penang and the Dindings were One

loading A street scene of early Sitiawan in the Dindings.

In colonial times, Penang’s territory once stretched south to the Perak coast. But a global economic depression changed all that.

Penang today consists of the island and the mainland (Province Wellesley), but at one time its territory extended all the way south to the Manjung district in Perak. For 60 years, Manjung, formerly known as the Dindings, was governed from Penang, from 1874 to 1935. Needless to say, undeniable social and economic links were established between Penang and the Dindings during that time.

The Dindings is located in south-west Perak and is made up of several major settlements such as Lumut, Beruas, Sitiawan, Pangkor Island, Pantai Remis and Ayer Tawar. The origins of the name “Dindings” come down to a few possibilities.


To read the rest of the article and to access our e-Archive, subscribe to us for RM150 a year.



Related Articles

WINDOW INTO HISTORY
Jan 2017

Account of an Early Transit in Penang

What was Penang like at the close of the eighteenth century?

WINDOW INTO HISTORY
Sep 2011

The Spice Island of Penang, 1834

Penang was a spice giant in the 19th century, before the blight. 

WINDOW INTO HISTORY
Aug 2014

Penang’s forgotten protest: The 1967 Hartal

For almost two months in 1967, Penang was in a state of near-anarchy. What happened, and how did things get to that point?

WINDOW INTO HISTORY
Nov 2011

Reporting on Penang’s twin, Pulau Jerajah, 1787

We reproduce a letter by Captain Robert Kyd, believed to be the oldest written account of Jerejak Island.